Monday, March 6, 2017

Friday - Vespers

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

God, come to my assistance
Lord, make haste to help me

Glory to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Psalm 21

O God, my God, look upon me:
why hast thou forsaken me?
Far from my salvation are the words of my sins.

O my God,
I shall cry by day,
and thou wilt not hear:
and by night,
and it shall not be reputed as folly in me.

But thou dwellest in the holy place,
the praise of Israel.

In thee have our fathers hoped:
they have hoped,
and thou hast delivered.

They cried to thee,
and they were saved:
they trusted in thee,
and were not confounded.

But I am a worm, and no man:
the reproach of men,
and the outcast of the people.

All they that saw me
have laughed me to scorn:
they have spoken with the lips,
and wagged the head.

He hoped in the Lord,
let him deliver him:
let him save him,
see he delighteth in him.

For thou art he
that hast drawn me out of the womb:
my hope from the breasts of my mother.

I was cast upon thee from the womb.
From my mother's womb thou art my God.

Depart not form me,
for tribulation is very near:
for there is none to help me.

Many calves have surrounded me:
fat bulls have besieged me.

They have opened their mouths against me,
as a lion ravening and roaring.

I am poured out like water:
and all my bones are scattered.
My heart is become like wax
melting in the midst of my bowels.

My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue hath cleaved to my jaws:
and thou hast brought me down
into the dust of death.

for many dogs of death have encompassed me:
the council of the malignant hath besieged me.
They have dug my hands and feet.

They have numbered all my bones.
And they have looked and stared upon me.
They parted my garments amongst them;
and upon my vesture they cast lots.

But thou, O Lord,
remove not thy help to a distance from me;
look towards my defence.

Deliver, O God, my soul from the sword:
my only one from the hand of the dog.

Save me from the lion's mouth:
and my lowness from the horns of the unicorns.

I will declare thy name to my brethren:
in the midst of the church I will praise thee.

Ye that fear the Lord, praise him.
all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him.

Let all the seed of Israel fear him:
because he hath not slighted nor despised
the supplication of the poor man.
Neither hath he turned away his face from me:
and when I cried to him he heard me.

With thee is my praise in a great church:
I will pay my vows
in the sight of them that seek him.

The poor shall eat and shall be filled:
and they shall praise the Lord that seek him:
their hearts shall live for ever and ever.

All the ends of the earth shall remember,
and shall be converted to the Lord:
And all the kindreds of the Gentiles
shall adore in his sight.

For the kingdom is the Lord's;
and he shall have dominion over the nations.

All the fat ones of the earth
have eaten and have adored:
all they that go down to the earth
shall fall before him.

And to him my soul shall live:
and my seed shall serve him.

There shall be declared to the Lord
a generation to come:
and the heavens shall shew forth his justice
to a people that shall be born,
which the Lord hath made.

2 Esdras 4:13-17

I set the people in the place
behind the wall round about in order,
with their swords, and spears, and bows.

And I looked and rose up:
and I said to the chief men and the magistrates,
and to the rest of the common people:
Be not afraid of them.
Remember the Lord who is great and terrible,
and fight for your brethren,
your sons, and your daughters,
and your wives, and your houses.

And it came to pass, when our enemies heard
that the thing had been told us,
that God defeated their counsel.
And we returned all of us to the walls,
every man to his work.

And it came to pass from that day forward,
that half of their young men did the work,
and half were ready for to fight,
with spears, and shields,
and bows, and coats of mail,
and the rulers were behind them
in all the house of Juda.

Of them that built on the wall
and that carried burdens, and that laded:
with one of his hands he did the work,
and with the other he held a sword.

Gospel Canticle

My soul doth magnify the Lord.
And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
Because he hath regarded the humility of His servant;
for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

Because he that is mighty,
hath done great things to me;
and holy is His name.

And His mercy is from generation unto generations,
to them that fear Him.

He hath shewed might in His arm;
He hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat,
and hath exalted the humble.
He hath filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he hath sent empty away.

He hath received Israel his servant, being mindful of His mercy:
As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever.

Pater Noster

Our Father,
Who art in heaven,
hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done
on Earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Dismissal

May the Lord bless us,
Protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.

Go to Friday Compline

No comments: